Buy as a PDF!
The author’s goal in writing this series is to “instill a love of great literature in children, expand their ability to read intelligently and deeply, improve their communication abilities, and prepare them for more advanced language arts concepts.” The three key components to this series are literature, grammar and mechanics, and composition.
The Student Workbook explains the lesson’s concept for the child and includes Reading Journal Pages, Dictionary Pages, and Sentence Puzzle Pages. Workbook answers are in the Teacher’s Guide. The Workbook and Guide can be purchased separately, in a set together, or in two different packs, one with and one without Random House Book of Poetry for Children. You’ll need something else for teaching spelling, learning to read, and penmanship.
The books read (in the order they are introduced) are:
- Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan
- Rickshaw Girl by Mitali Perkins
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
- Random House Book of Poetry for Children by Jack Prelutsky and Arnold Lobel
- Ramona and Her Father by Beverly Cleary
- The Big Wave by Pearl S. Buck
- Charlotte’s Web by E. B. White
- The Wheel on the School by Meindert DeJong
- The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo